Monday, September 05, 2005

Colby Cosh

I have a persistent fantasy of organizing ear-blasting soccer-style singing by the Oilers fans at the Coliseum. How hard do you think this would be? I figure you'd have to get about a thousand very loud people on-side and organize it both inside and outside the stadium. Even with pre-trained plants, it would be a tough sell to Canadians. (The Edmonton Eskimos have been trying to teach fans the old Esks fight song for years now, with only modest success. But that's making the task as hard as humanly possible. The song's tonal difficulties make it nearly impossible for a crowd to sing--after hearing it dozens of times I can still never remember what key the current line is supposed to end in


That statement only makes sense if he's referring to the American anthem, because Oh Canada is incredibly easy to sing, and if he finds it to be tonally difficult I can only conclude that he's a terrible singer.

England's slender one-nil victory over a side with one star (the defiantly patriotic Ryan Giggs) isn't likely to frighten the trousers off of any of its finals opponents. Certainly not the Americans, who may have silenced widespread doubts about their FIFA no. 6 ranking on Saturday by thumping Mexico 2-0 in Columbus, Ohio. After the game--I repeat: after the game--Mexico's coach, Ricardo Lavolpe, was quoted as saying "The U.S. is a small team. They play like my sister, my aunt and my grandmother." The Mexican side he coaches has now been shut out seven consecutive times on U.S. soil; I realize things are different in Latin countries, but if I were a national selector, I'd be out for the blood, head, and entrails of any coach who badmouthed a team he couldn't beat on the road.


The Mexicans obviously should put the coach's sister, aunt and grandmother on the team.